The required components below must be submitted in every portfolio, while each of the four fields can be satisfied by one of the three options below, at the approval of the faculty examiner. As long as all required components are submitted, a component can be repeated between the fields.
- Required - All portfolios must include the following:
- Article manuscript submitted for peer review
- Dissertation prospectus
- External grant submitted (or ready for submission)
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Each of the four fields satisfied by one of the following:
- Minimum 5,000-word state of the field essay based on a reading list of at least 30 books and articles.
- Course portfolio for a 15-week course in the field including annotated syllabus, sample lecture outlines, and sample assessments.
- Alternative assessment component proposed by faculty member subject to grad committee approval.
- Oral Exam
- Students must meet with all committee members to answer questions about their work in the portfolio, their progress, and their trajectory. The structure of the Oral Exam remains the same, discussing the written components first, and then focusing on the dissertation prospectus with the fifth committee member.