The Department of History offers several departmental Graduate scholarships as listed below. Applications will be posted each September on this website under the Forms tab and are also available for pick up from the History office located in WH 225. Applications are due by March 15th of each year for the following academic year.
Some scholarships may require supplemental application materials (in addition to the materials required by the department for all scholarships). The criteria for each scholarship, as well as the additional supplemental materials required (if applicable) are listed below.
When applying for scholarships, please carefully read the criteria for each scholarship and closely follow the directions on the application regarding submission of department required materials, as well as scholarship specific supplemental materials.
- Donald E Chipman Graduate History Scholarship - awarded to a full-time*UNT Department of History Graduate student.
- Friends of the Department of History Scholarship - awarded to a full-time* UNT Department of History Graduate student.
- Gordon R. Carpenter Endowed Scholarship - awarded to full-time* UNT Department of History Doctoral student engaged in the preparation of their Dissertation on some aspect of American History, with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. Preference is given to students with a dissertation topic on some aspect of the U.S. Constitution, or Political or Economic History.
- History Excellence Scholarship - awarded to a full-time* Undergraduate student at UNT with a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA, or to a full-time* Graduate student in History with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.8.
- Jack B. Scroggs Graduate Scholarship Fund - awarded to a Doctoral student to allow them to complete their dissertation without duties owed the Department.
- Jim Berry Pearson Scholarship - awarded to a full-time* Graduate student with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 who is seeking knowledge for the sake of knowledge itself.
- Ledbetter Family Scholarship - available to a full-time* UNT student (Undergraduate or Graduate) majoring in History.
- Major General Olinto Mark Barsanti Graduate Fellowship in Military History - awarded to a full-time Graduate student with a concentration in Military History. Student must devote full-time to graduate studies and may not work more than 20 hours per week. Applicants must provide a record of publications and scholarly presentations and letters of recommendations should attest to the integrity and professional/academic potential of the candidate.
- Nation's Heritage Scholarship - awarded to a full-time*UNT Undergraduate or Graduate student in good standing in the department of History.
- Shinko & Thomas McDonald Award for Texas History - awarded to a full-time* Graduate student studying Texas History from 1821-1860.
- History Faculty Scholarship - awarded to a Graduate student in History who has demonstrated superior ability in the study of History.
- The Julia Child Foundation for Gastronomy & the Culinary Arts Fellowship in Food History - awarded to a full time UNT Department of History Masters Graduate Student studying Food History. Applicants are required to submit a letter of application describing their qualifications and interest in food studies as a supplement to the departmental scholarship application.
- The Al & J.M. Murdock Scholarship Fund - awarded to a full time* UNT Graduate student studying Military History.
- The Richard Lowe Graduate Award in American Civil War History - awarded to a full time* UNT Department of History Graduate student studying American Civil War History.
- The Bruzzy Westheimer Graduate Fellowship in Human Security - awarded to a full time UNT Graduate student pursuing research and/or scholarly activities related to Human Security. Graduate students with majors housed in CLASS will be given first priority. Awardee must commit to graduate studies on a full-time bases and may not work more than 20 hours a week. Applicant is required to submit (1) information on publications, research, scholarly presentations or serving as a teaching assistant, research assistant, or teaching fellow related to issues related to human security; (2) minimum of two letters of recommendation attesting to integrity and professional/academic potential of the applicant in the area of Human Security; (3) two page essay describing work in Human Security.
- Texas Society Daughters of the American Revolution American History Scholarship - awarded to a full- time* Junior, Senior or graduate student at UNT, majoring in American History with a 3.2 overall and departmental GPA. Applicants are required to provide a statement describing their life goals, including some amplification of each goal and at least one letter of recommendation must be from a UNT History professor.
- The Bullitt Lowry European History Graduate Scholarship - awarded to a full time* UNT Graduate student studying European History.
- The Gordon Daniel Healey Endowment Fund in History- awarded to a full-time* UNT student (undergraduate or graduate) majoring in History.
*Full-time enrollment is a requirement of this scholarship, unless student has fewer than twice the number of semester hours required to be full time remaining in their degree program.