The Department of History offers several departmental Undergraduate scholarships as listed below. Applications will be posted each September on this website under the Forms tab and are also available for pick up from the History office located in WH 225. Applications are due by February 15th of each year for the following academic year.
Some scholarships may require supplemental application materials (in addition to the materials required by the department for all scholarships). The criteria for each scholarship, as well as the additional supplemental materials required (if applicable) are listed below.
When applying for scholarships, please carefully read the criteria for each scholarship and closely follow the directions on the application regarding submission of department required materials, as well as scholarship specific supplemental materials.
- CBS Mechanical History Excellence Scholarship - awarded to a full-time* UNT undergraduate student, with a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA.
- Gus Seligmann History Scholarship- awarded to a full-time* UNT undergraduate student majoring in History. Preference is given to pre-law students.
- Hagler-Marquis History Scholarship - awarded to a full-time* UNT undergraduate student majoring in History. Applicants are required to provide an essay on one or more of the following; (1) activities in which they have been involved that support a culturally diverse population, and/or (2) evidence of socioeconomic hardship they have experienced, and/or (3) personal involvement in life's hardships and successes.
- Harry and Ruth Kamman Scholarship - awarded to a full-time* UNT undergraduate student majoring in History.
- History Excellence Scholarship - awarded to a full-time* undergraduate student at UNT with a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA, or to a full-time* graduate student in History with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.8.
- Ledbetter Family Scholarship - awarded to a full-time* UNT student (undergraduate or graduate) majoring in History.
- J.L. Kingsbury/Troy M. Thomason History Scholarship - awarded to a full-time Freshman or Sophomore at UNT, majoring in History who intends to teach history in the Texas public school system and who meets the minimum entrance and continuing academic performance standards of the Department. Applicants are required to submit a two-page essay focusing upon their career goals as a teacher in History.
- Nation's Heritage Scholarship - awarded to a full-time*UNT undergraduate or graduate student in good standing in the department of History.
- Texas Society Daughters of the American Revolution American History Scholarship - awarded to a full- time* Junior, Senior or graduate student at UNT, majoring in American History with a 3.2 overall and departmental GPA. Applicants are required to provide a statement describing their life goals, including some amplification of each goal and at least one letter of recommendation must be from a UNT History professor.
*Full-time enrollment is a requirement of this scholarship, unless student has fewer than twice the number of semester hours required to be full time remaining in their degree program.
UNT Student Financial Aid and Scholarships provides several methods of assisting students in financing their education. Applications and complete descriptions of all programs, requirements, and qualifications are available at:
Financial Aid Office
Eagle Student Services Building
University of North Texas
Denton, TX 76203
Phone: (940) 565-3901
Applications for financial aid administered by the university Financial Aid Office should be made by June 1 (for the Fall semester), October 1 (for the Spring semester), and April 1 (for the Summer terms).