Bring these your advising session:
- Unofficial Transcript
- Unofficial Degree Audit (Make sure to open all sections before printing)
*Both items can be found under the My Academics section of your MyUNT login
History Department Advisors
Dr. Debbie Liles
Wooten Hall 229
Phone: (940) 565-4867
- Availability: Tue/Thu: 8-9a & 1-3p
Dr. Keith Mitchener
Wooten Hall 228
Phone: (940) 565-4215
- Availability: Mon/Wed: 12-4p
Dr. Graham Cox
Wooten Hall 255
Phone: (940) 565-4526
- Availability: Mon/Wed/Fri: 8:30-10:30a and Fri: 2-4p
**No Advising will be available on Friday 10/21 or 10/28
Bachelor of Arts Requirements
The Department offers courses for the Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in history and for a major in social science with history as a leading subject. Students majoring in other fields may minor in history or take courses for general interest, elective credit, or as part of the Arts and Sciences Core.
The Bachelor of Arts degree requires a minimum of 120 hours, 42 of which must be advanced, and fulfillment of the general requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences and the University Core Curriculum.
Major in History
A major in history requires completion of HIST 1050-1060, though other courses may be substituted with permission of the Department. Western Civilization and UNT's HIST 131-132 (both previously required) do substitute. Also required are HIST 2610-2620, and 18 semester hours of advanced work consisting of four courses--from either Group A, Group B, or Group C--and one additional course selected from each of the other Groups.
The undergraduate catalog sometimes does not list certain classes, or does not list a group designation. New classes are also added between editions. In addition, HIST 4260 and 4900 carry variable group credit. Group designations for current semesters will be listed in the Department Schedule. If you are uncertain as to group credit, consult the Department at 940/565-2288 or Wooten Hall 225.
Minor in History
Students may minor in history by completing 18 semester hours, including HIST 1050-1060 and 2610-2620. Approved substitutes, including substitutions of advanced work, are allowed. Six hours of advanced history ARE REQUIRED.
African American Studies
Mexican American Studies
Teaching Certification Requirements
Students who expect to teach history in secondary schools must complete the requirements of the state of Texas for teacher certification as listed by the Department of Teacher Education and Administration in the College of Education at http://www.coe.unt.edu/sao/
The Department of History offers several departmental undergraduate scholarships as listed below. Applications will be posted each January on this website under Departmental Forms and are due by February 15th for the following academic year (Fall and Spring semesters).
- CBS Mechanical Scholarship - available to an outstanding UNT undergraduate student majoring in history.
- Nation's Heritage Scholarship - one or more scholarships available to outstanding UNT undergraduate students majoring in history.
- J.L. Kingsbury/Troy M. Thomason History Scholarship - granted to a high school senior who plans to attend the University of North Texas, major in history, and teach history in the Texas public schools.
- Gus Seligmann History Scholarship - granted to a student majoring in history with preference given to pre-law students.
- Daughters of the American Revolution Scholarship - available to a female Hisory Major in her junior or senior year, who plans to teach American History.
UNT Student Financial Aid and Scholarships provides several methods of assisting students in financing their education. Applications and complete descriptions of all programs, requirements, and qualifications are available at:
Financial Aid Office
Eagle Student Services Building
University of North Texas
Denton, TX 76203
Phone: (940) 565-3901
Applications for financial aid administered by the university Financial Aid Office should be made by June 1 (for the Fall semester), October 1 (for the Spring semester), and April 1 (for the Summer terms).
Web Based Courses
The Department of History offers the following web-based courses. Please see the published schedule of classes for current offerings, or visit the instructor's website for further information.
Web-based history courses: Schedule of Classes
- HIST 1050 World History to 1500
- HIST 1060 World History from 1500
- HIST 2610 U.S. History to 1865
- HIST 2620 U.S. History from 1865
- HIST 4010 History of Science to Newton
- HIST 4020 History of Science from Newton
User ID, password, and logging on for the first time
Once you have enrolled for any web-based history course you should by the first day of classes get access to the course home site by pointing your browser to, http://webct.unt.edu.
Click on the Log on to My WebCT link and follow the instructions. You will need a User Name and Password. Your user name is your EUID which is also your UNT e-mail account username. If you don't have a EUID then get one at, http://getlogin.unt.edu.
Your password is your student id generally your Social Security number without the dashes.
For UNT's webct technical related questions go to http://webct.unt.edu or call their help desk number (940) 565-2324. If you are in campus you can go to ISB Room 119 and get walk in help.
In the case of graduate courses, students MUST also e-mail their instructor by or before the first day of classes.