A. Applicants are evaluated holistically; however, before being accepted unconditionally into the history master's program at the University of North Texas, a student should meet the following general requirements by the specified departmental due date:
(1) Score at the 50th percentile or higher on the verbal portion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) AND either at the 40th percentile or higher on the quantitative portion OR 4.0 or higher on the analytical/writing portion of the GRE.
(2) Have a bachelor's degree and 24 hours of history credits from an accredited university
(6 hours of US history, 6 hours of world history, and 12 hours of upper level history).
(3) Have a cumulative undergraduate grade-point average (overall OR for the last sixty hours OR in at least 24 undergraduate history credit hours) of 3.5 on a four-point scale.
(4) Submit an acceptable statement of his/her purpose in seeking the master's degree in history.
(5) Provide two acceptable letters of recommendation.
(6) Have met all other university requirements.
B. If the student's application file is incomplete by the department's current application deadline, he/she may register as an undeclared major with Toulouse Graduate School and enroll in graduate history courses (with the written permission of the appropriate faculty) while he/she completes all of the history admission requirements. In such cases, the student may transfer up to twelve hours of this history graduate course work to count towards the completion of his/her history master's degree when and if he/she is later admitted unconditionally to the History master's program.
C. The Department Chair, Graduate Advisor, and Graduate Committee review the application file of each candidate and determine whether that student will be admitted into the history master's program.